Or at least, Some of the King’s English
What has happened to us? The proper use of the language has left the house! It’s easy to blame twitter and texting and facebook, but really…
Misspelled words, bad grammar, incorrect usage is RAMPANT. Please, if you are going to write ad copy know the difference between loose and lose. And spelling? Do you misspell words just to grab attention to your copy? Does it work? Really? Punctuation? I am the biggest offender here!!!
Hyperbole: The Biggest Offence
“Copied from dictionary.com”:
[vahy-ruhl Show IPA
1. of, pertaining to, or caused by a virus.
2. pertaining to or involving the spreading of information and opinions about a product
or service fromperson to person, especially on the Internet or in e-mails: a clever viral ad. See viral marketing.
3. becoming very popular by circulating quickly from person to person, especially through
the Internet:the most memorable viral videos; This book is already viral two weeks
before its official publication date.
5. go viral, to spread rapidly via the Internet, e-mail, or other media: Footage of the candidate’s off-colorremarks went viral within minutes.
Please, for the sake of all that is right, quit naming your product ‘Viral’. It’s not all that impressive. If you can’t come up with a catchy name, viral in it will not help.
“copied from dictionary.com”
[best] Show IPA
adjective superl. of good with better as compar.
1. of the highest quality, excellence, or standing: the best work; the best students.
2. most advantageous, suitable, or desirable: the best way.
3. largest; most: the best part of a day.
adverb superl. of well with better as compar.
4. most excellently or suitably; with most advantage or success: an opera role that best suits her voice.
5. in or to the highest degree; most fully (usually used in combination): best-suited; best-known; best-loved.
I believe the most over used word in our business. Repeated over use had desensitized me to it’s use.
The list goes on…and on and on
There are more, many more. Please add your all time best viral misused word or phrase in the comment section. Then maybe this blog post will go viral and be rated as the best all time forever.
I’m just sayin’
Please follow and like us: